I’m Dating My Best Friend

If the title didn’t make you roll your eyes in disgust and you kept reading, I would like to say thank you. If the title made you gag and laugh out loud and yet you still kept reading, I am okay with that too. I hope that by the end of this post, your heart may expand and smile, like that one scene in The Grinch.


I have written two pretty personal posts now, and it’s not even the first month of 2018. If you haven’t noticed, this is the year I dedicate my time to this blog. Because I have a purpose, and it involves spreading my writing in hopes that another pair of eyes stumbles across it and feels something. Just one pair of eyes.

But that’s enough about other people, because this post is dedicated to my best friend in the entire world, who doesn’t get nearly the amount of credit the deserves in my writing. However, the humble man he is, wouldn’t like me to talk about him and how much of a blessing he is in my life.

Let’s just start out by addressing the fact that 90% of the time he is my best friend, and the other 10% he’s my boyfriend. What this means, is that every time we’re together, life is really really awesome. We were friends nearly a year before he worked up the nerve to ask me to be his girlfriend, and we have remained friends above all else. As said in the famous wedding of Parks and Rec., I love him and I like him.


Still not sure what I mean? Let me explain.

My best friend and I love to go to concerts and celebrate good music, but my boyfriend loves to take pictures of the way my eyes look in the stage lights.

My best friend and I love to go to sporting events, but my boyfriend tends to buy me popcorn because he knows I won’t admit that I want it.


My best friend and I love to get ice cream together, but my boyfriend drives an extra 20 minutes to go to the restaurant that I can eat at (allergies!).


My best friend and I love to work out together, but my boyfriend does cardio next to me so I’m not lonely.

My best friend and I love to bake together, but my boyfriend always insists on doing the dishes afterward, and I don’t stop him.

My best friend and I love to be adventurous and run through the rain, but my boyfriend carries me over mud and puddles because my shoes are just too cute to get wet and dirty.

My best friend helps me decide on living room decor, but my boyfriend holds me on his shoulders so I can string the lights across the ceiling.


My best friend and I love to talk about our music preferences, but my boyfriend and I love to talk about our hopes, regrets, dreams, childhood, success, and greatest accomplishments.

My best friend and I love to watch movies together, but my boyfriend lets me pick every time. (Another children’s animation? Yes please!)

My best friend and I love to go to the nail salon together, but my boyfriend likes to watch the process and choose the brightest shade of pink.

He is the first person I call when I have good news.

He is the first person I call when I have bad news.

He is whom I share my food with (and I’m not a openly willingful sharer).

He holds my coffee when it’s too hot/cold.


He gives me his spare change and tells me to put it in my adventure jar.

He takes the stairs because I don’t like elevators.

He keeps a spare jacket in his car for me.

He carries my purse when it just gets too heavy.

He knows how I like my coffee, my favorite cupcake flavor, and what shade of lipgloss I wear.

He knows my secrets, my plans, and what I’m thinking before I say it.

I hope and pray that there is someone who knows what I’m talking about, because having a two-in-one package is double the fun and double the joy. My boyfriend is my biggest fan, greatest hype man, and also my best friend. I couldn’t be more thankful, inspired, or in awe of him.





Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s